Last updated November 29, 2023
There’s a good chance that you’ve seen this wonder ingredient everywhere—from beauty brands and health products to massage treatments. CBD oil has gone from being virtually unknown to something everyone’s talking about.
It’s fairly new in the wellness sphere even though marijuana and its medical properties have been used for thousands of years to treat both pain and a variety of different ailments.
There is a lot of information on CBD oil and how it can benefit both our mental and physical health. If you’re new to CBD oil or CBD products, you’ll naturally have some questions.
Here we address five frequently asked questions and explore how you can use CBD oil to improve your wellness.
Quick Intro to CBD Oil
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a substance extracted from the buds and flowers of hemp or marijuana plants. It’s normally diluted with a carrier oil such as hemp seed oil or coconut oil to make the product available to us today.
Unlike tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), Cannabidiol isn’t psychoactive meaning that when using CBD there is no risk of getting “high” or being exposed to any other mind-altering effects.
Some scientific studies suggest that CBD oil can actually help with ailments and chronic conditions such as epilepsy, chronic pain, anxiety, insomnia and even menstrual cramps.
Is CBD Oil Legal?
Due to cannabidiol deriving from the marijuana plant, many question its legality. And you’re right to do so, but it really depends on where you live.
According to Harvard Medical School, in most U.S. states, confusingly, CBD isn’t legal or illegal. Its position is constantly in flux. CBD oil is available to buy openly. That said, I would recommend researching CBD and marijuana laws in your state as restrictions vary.
The Federal Government considers CBD to be in the same class as marijuana even though they don’t actually enforce it. Most CBD oils also fall outside of FDA approval, apart from Epidiolex (a drug specifically for epilepsy).
Make sure you do your research before investing in it.
What Are the Benefits?
Probably the largest proven benefit of CBD oil is its effect on epilepsy. Many studies prove that CBD can reduce the severity of seizures and it can have an anticonvulsant effect, limiting seizures altogether.
There are, however, many other benefits. Some of these benefits are less studied than others (due to strict marijuana laws). The joint consensus seems to be that CBD can help with some of the following issues:
- Pain Relief: While scientific research for the effects of CBD on pain relief is actually quite insufficient, it does look promising for the relief of pain or chronic pain. In many cases, CBD seems to work. It’s said that the side effects of CBD compared to those of other chronic pain relief medications are much lower. Topical CBD creams can also work to reduce pain in specific areas of the body.
- Anxiety: Some studies have suggested that CBD oil can have a positive effect on anxiety and depression. Many people have said that they notice improvements in their levels of anxiety in their day to day life. This is not scientifically proven.
- Acne: Lower doses of CBD oil can have anti-inflammatory, neuroprotective and antioxidative effects on the oil-releasing glands in the body, helping reduce acne.
- Cancer-related symptoms: Due to its pain relief properties, CBD oil can help to relieve some cancer-related issues and general aches, pains and discomfort from treatments like chemotherapy.
- Insomnia: In some cases, CBD is used to reduce the effects of insomnia. Some people have also reported that it aids sleep quality.
How Do You Choose the Right Oil?
When choosing a CBD oil, make sure to do your research. Not all products are equal; there are cheaper, low-grade or even imitation oils out there.
Look for brands that are certified, tried, tested and approved by the general public. In some countries and states, CBD oil is sold in pharmacies. Talk to your pharmacist for recommendations.
How Do You Use It?
CBD is most commonly available as an oil solution. The product is also available in capsules, creams and nasal sprays. Most recently we can also find the presence of CBD in food products, cosmetics and dietary supplements.
The dosage and form of CBD depends on many factors such as the ailment itself, your weight and whether you’re taking other medication.
CBD can interfere with existing medication, so make sure to speak with your doctor before using CBD oil or CBD containing products. Your doctor will also be able to recommend the correct dosage for you. For the recommended daily dosage, make sure to always read the product label.
At Vacayou [pronounced VACAY – YOU], we believe that travel has the power to change lives. The power to revive, rejuvenate and redirect your inner wellness warrior. And that’s why we’re here. Vacayou brings the world of wellness travel to you!
No matter how far or how adventurous, our team scours the globe to curate the best in wellness travel. But the booking process can often be time-consuming and complicated. We’ve made it much easier for you to search, discover, and book wellness and active vacations. With Vacayou’s Instant Book, your dream wellness getaway is now just one click away.
Start the trip of your lifetime today, with Vacayou. We are here to help create a healthier global community through wellness and active travel.
To keep up with the latest wellness trends and experiences, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter.